770 N. Main St. L'Anse MI, 49946
KBOCC Campus Health and Safety Level: Current Level Two


Catch Your Dream Through a Superior Education

Created with Sketch.

Prospective students’ admissions materials are due in the Admissions Office by the Friday before the students’ classes start.

Admission as a Degree Candidate

All students enrolled as degree-seeking candidates must arrange for official high school or equivalency transcripts to arrive at the College no later than the end of the first week of the semester. If students register as degree-seeking candidates and their transcripts are not received within the first week of the semester, they must be reclassified as non-degree seeking students (see “Admission as Non-Degree Seeking Student” for impact on financial aid) or have their registration canceled.

High School Graduate or GED:

  • Complete and submit an application for admission.
  • Have official high school transcripts or GED certificates indicating the date of graduation or completion sent directly from the issuing institution to the Admissions Office.
  • High School Transcript Request Form


  • Complete and submit an application for admission.
  • Have official transcripts from the high school/testing center which granted the diploma/high school completion certification and all previous colleges sent directly to the Admissions Office.


If returning after a voluntary absence from Keweenaw Bay Ojibwa Community College for two or more semesters:

  • Submit a new application for admission.
  • Have official transcripts from any colleges or universities attended in the interim sent directly to the Admissions Office.
  • Contact the Bursar/Enrollment Coordinator regarding any potential academic or financial holds.

If reapplying following an academic suspension:

  • Submit a new application for admission.
  • General Petition Form
  • Submit a letter of appeal for reinstatement to the Faculty Council at least 30 days before the start of the semester of intended enrollment.
  • Have official transcripts from any colleges or universities attended in the interim sent directly to the Admissions Office.

Students who are readmitted to Keweenaw Bay Ojibwa Community College after three or more consecutive fall and spring semesters of non-enrollment must complete their degrees using the program requirements of the catalog current at the time of their readmission, when they subsequently declare a major, or at the time of their graduation

Admission as a Non-Degree Seeking Student

Non-degree seeking Students:

Applicants who wish to take specific courses may enroll as non-degree seeking students. Non-degree students are not required to provide a high school diploma or GED and are not eligible for federal financial aid. Non-degree seeking students who later decide to seek regular admission may apply all credits earned and must meet regular admission requirements. High School students with advanced secondary enrollment are also Non-Degree Seeking and have additional admissions requirements.

Guest Student:

Students who are enrolled as degree-seeking students at another college or university may apply to take courses as guest students. The following stipulations must be met for admission as a guest student:

  1. Students must submit a guest student application (available from their home institution) to the Admissions Office. Transcripts from the home institution are not required.
  2. Guest students may not register as degree candidates at Keweenaw Bay Ojibwa Community College.
  3. Guest students should have their Keweenaw Bay Ojibwa Community College course selections approved in advance by the Registrar at their home institutions.
  4. Guest students must arrange to have any credit earned as guest students sent from Keweenaw Bay Ojibwa Community College to their home institutions.

Financial aid for guest students may be available from their home institutions. The student will be responsible for payment of institutional expenses incurred at Keweenaw Bay Ojibwa Community College.

Michigan Undergraduate Guest Application

Advanced Secondary Enrollment:

High school students may take college courses either with the support of their school districts (dual enrollment) or independently.  School district support is always needed if the students wish to earn credit toward their high school graduation requirements.  Local school districts determine eligibility for dual enrollment based on standards established by their states’ Department of Education. The College sets admission requirements for secondary students who are taking college classes without school district support, for college credit only.

Michigan high school students who wish to take college courses with support from their school under PA 160 of 1996: Postsecondary Enrollment Options Act (PSEOA) must be determined to be eligible for dual enrollment by their school district, which will provide an eligibility letter for the college. Students and their parents must coordinate with their school districts in order to receive high school credit. The school districts determine which college courses may be applied toward high school graduation requirements. For more information about dual enrollment, please follow the links from the “College and Career Ready” section of the Michigan Department of Education website, michigan.gov/mde.  Similarly, high school students from other states should get information about dual enrollment requirements from their local school districts and state education departments.

High school students who wish to take classes independently for college credit only must have a “B” average (3.0 on a 4.0 scale) or better, have parental consent and the recommendation of their high school counselor to be admitted as Advanced Secondary Students. They may enroll in up to three courses totaling no more than 8 credits per semester and may choose any courses for which they meet the prerequisites.

All Advanced Secondary Students must submit an advanced secondary enrollment form showing parental consent and dual-enrollment eligibility or high school guidance counselor’s recommendation to the Admissions Office for each semester of enrollment at KBOCC as an Advanced Secondary Student.

Advanced Secondary Enrollment Application


All newly admitted degree-seeking students must complete placement testing in mathematics and English. Non-degree seeking students enrolling in math or English are also required to complete placement tests. Students who took the placement tests two or more years ago without enrolling in an appropriate math or composition course must retest. The results of the placement tests are used for advising purposes only and will not affect admission status.

Individual placement testing sessions may be arranged based on need and availability. Please check with The Bookstore or the Tutor for scheduling. 


Student success is a top priority at KBOCC. Faculty and staff support student success with academic coaching, advising, and courses focused on preparing students for college-level work. All new students should take LS103 College Success Seminar.  Incoming students are placed in the correct composition and mathematics courses based on their placement test scores.

EN095 Basic Composition
EN101 College Reading Strategies
MA096 Basic Mathematics
MA099 Mathematics Preparation Lab

These courses are also open to students who wish to improve their skills or refresh previous learning.


The First Year Experience program is designed to focus on students in their first year transition to college life. The goals of the program, mainly accomplished through attendance at the required College Success Seminar course (LS103), are to help students develop attitudes and strategies that maximize the likelihood of academic success, to familiarize students with campus resources and their utilization, and to assist students in developing positive relationships with faculty, staff, and peers. In addition, this program offers students an excellent opportunity to strengthen their campus connections, develop friendships, form study groups, and experience college life with others who are making the same transition. Ideally, students will leave First Year Experience with an active support network that will last throughout their college careers.


All new students and students readmitted after being away from the College for two years or more are required to attend orientation. Student Services conducts orientation the week prior to the first day of the fall and spring semesters. The purpose of orientation is to provide information to assist students with a successful transition into college.


All students are assigned academic advisors based on their declared majors or programs. Academic advising is conducted by faculty members in the students’ respective departments. Academic advisors monitor students’ academic progress, assist them in program planning and course selection, provide information concerning additional educational opportunities, and assist with the transfer to other institutions. Students meet with their academic advisors to register for courses each semester.

New students may register for their first semester courses when they meet with the Developmental Education Coordinator to review placement test results. In addition, the Developmental Education Coordinator, the Dean of Instruction, and the Dean of Student Services may assist students whose faculty advisors are not available, who are undecided about their major, or who are experiencing academic difficulties.  If a new or returning student registers with an alternate advisor, the student should also meet with the primary advisor, preferably before the end of the first week of classes.

Student Handbook