L'Anse MI, 49946


Catch Your Dream Through a Superior Education

Created with Sketch.

Admission Status Affects Financial Aid Eligibility
Regular or New Admission
The student must have an official high school or GED transcript on file.

The student must have official transcripts from their previous institution on file.
Satisfactory degree progress will be affected by the number of credits transferred into an eligible program.

Non-degree Seeking Students/ Advanced Secondary Students/ Guest Students
Not eligible for Federal Student Aid.

Students must meet the following requirements to be eligible for Federal Financial Aid:

  • Be admitted to an eligible program of study (degree program)
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • Be registered with Selective Service, if required (see www.sss.gov for more information)
  • Must not owe the U.S. Department of Education a refund on a federal grant or be in default on a federal education loan
  • Must not have any drug convictions or must meet the eligibility criteria of the drug conviction worksheet
  • Have a valid social security number

To maintain eligibility, students must successfully complete a minimum percentage of their required degree credits (see below). Students earning an associate’s degree must complete the minimum credits listed in the catalog and may receive funding for up to 150% of the average credits (typically about 93 credits). Students will not receive financial aid for credits exceeding 93 credits unless an extension due to special circumstances has been approved by the Financial Aid Office.

Changing Degree Programs or Additional Degrees

 If a student changes degree programs or graduates and requests a second degree, his or her transcript will be evaluated by the Dean of Instruction and the new advisor to determine what portion of the requirements for the new program has been satisfied. The student may be eligible for Federal Aid provided that the student has not yet received a higher degree.

Students can attempt a maximum of 93 credits, which is approximately the equivalent of two associate’s degree programs, utilizing Federal Student Aid if eligible.


One in every three financial aid applications is randomly chosen for verification by the Central Processing System. Students whose applications were selected have a ‘*’ indicator following their expected family contribution (EFC) on their institutional student information records (ISIRs). KBOCC will verify all ISIRs flagged for verification. Students may also be selected for verification by the Financial Aid Office if conflicting information is suspected.

The following information must be verified:

  • Household size – Verification worksheet
  • Number enrolled in college – Verification worksheet
  • Adjusted gross income (AGI) – IRS Tax Return Transcript
  • Tax Liability– IRS Tax Return Transcript
  • Untaxed income and benefits – W2s or proof from an appropriate agency
  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Benefits – a copy of the card or appropriate documentation
  • Child support paid or received

The Financial Aid Office will send students, whose applications were chosen, an initial letter indicating that they were chosen and listing the required documentation.
Students will be given 30 days to submit:

In some cases, other documents may be required. Common examples include but are not limited to:

  • Driver’s License
  • IRS W2s from employers
  • Proof of separation or divorce
  • Proof of Selective Service registration
  • Social Security Card
  • Tribal ID and Blood Quantum (Jay Treaty Students)
  • National Student Loan Database System (NSLDS) default resolution

Applicants not selected for verification

Students whose applications were not selected for verification may still be required to submit documentation. If there is a reason to believe that any information on the application used to calculate the EFC is discrepant or inaccurate (or if any supporting documentation is discrepant or inaccurate), the applicant will be required to provide adequate documentation to resolve the conflict.

Applicants selected for verification

Students whose applications were selected for verification are required to complete a verification worksheet and submit requested documents within 30 days. Students are responsible for obtaining documents to verify that all comment codes (C Codes) on their ISIRs are resolved. All verifications will be reviewed by the Financial Aid Office.

Other applicant information received by the school

All information on file in any College department will be used for verification whether the student was selected for verification or not.

Conflicting Information

If verification documents contain conflicting information, student aid will be suspended immediately until the conflict is resolved. If an overpayment is discovered, the student will be notified and the Financial Aid Director will conduct an investigation to determine liability. Repayment of Title IV funds will be made initially by KBOCC through G5, the U.S. Department of Education’s grant management system. If found liable, the student will be given 30 days to repay before further action is taken. The Director has the right to verify and file that a student failed to provide requested documentation.

Examples of conflicting information which requires resolution include:

A student was not selected for verification; however, her tax return is on file and information conflicts with items on the FAFSA.

  • IRS 1040 shows a parent as single head of household and the FAFSA/ISIR shows the same person as married.
  • Parent or student reported on the FAFSA and signed a verification worksheet that he will not file an IRS 1040. However, the amount of reported income is greater than the minimum amount required to file as indicated in the instructions provided on the IRS 1040.
  • Statements or information that suggests that the copy of the Income Tax Return submitted is not the return actually filed with the IRS.
  • Veterans Affairs (VA) benefits verified by the certifying official in the Enrollment Coordinator’s Office don’t match the FAFSA.
  • Admissions information received affects student eligibility (i.e., student accepted into a non-degree program, a student received a scholarship from high school, etc.)
  • A student’s academic progress or enrollment status on file in the Financial Aid Office doesn’t agree with the information from the Enrollment Office.

Fraud and Abuse

Fraud is the intent to deceive as opposed to a mistake. Suspected fraud or abuse should be reported to the Financial Aid Office or the Business Office. These offices will consult with the College’s legal counsel prior to referring a report of fraud or abuse for an investigation to the Office of the Inspector General (OIG) of the Department of Education or any agency outside the school.

When making a referral for investigation, all credible information indicating that an applicant for Title IV may have engaged in fraud or other criminal conduct will be provided. In addition, any third party who may have engaged in fraud, breach of fiduciary responsibility, or other illegal conduct involving Federal Student Aid (FSA) Programs will be reported for investigation.

OIG Address and Phone Numbers
Office of Inspector General
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue SW
Washington, DC 20202-1510

Email: oig.hotline@ed.gov
Web: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/oig/hotline.html
Regional Offices Telephone No. National Hotline
Denver, CO (303) 844-0058

OIG referrals
34 CFR 668.16(g)
IRS Publication 17


To maintain their eligibility for federal financial aid, students must maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP). Satisfactory academic progress is based on attempted credits, which include all credits enrolled in at the end of the drop-add period, and course grades. Progress will be monitored each semester and has two components:

1) Satisfactory grade point average, as described below:

Number of Credits AttemptedMinimum Cumulative GPA
15- 291.7
45 or more2.0

2) Satisfactory degree progress, which means successfully completing 67% of credits attempted.

Failure to meet the satisfactory academic progress standards for one semester will result in financial aid probation. Students on financial aid probation are eligible for Federal Student Aid.

Failure to meet the satisfactory academic progress standards during a semester on financial aid probation will result in financial aid suspension. Students on financial aid suspension are NOT eligible for Federal Student Aid.

Reinstatement of Federal Student Aid may occur when a suspended student:

  1. Has completed enough credits to achieve satisfactory academic progress using alternative funding.
  2. Who has also been academically suspended successfully petitions for readmission to the Faculty Council and then for reinstatement to the Financial Aid Appeals Committee (FAAC). These requests must be made in writing accompanied with an Academic Plan. Proof of readmission by the Faculty Council and a copy of the Academic Plan must be submitted to the FAAC before consideration.
  3. Who has not been academically suspended and has taken a semester or more off from college or attended college elsewhere petitions the FAAC for reinstatement. Reinstatement requests along with college transcripts, if applicable, and an Academic Plan must be submitted to the FAAC before consideration.
  4. Petitions for immediate reinstatement based on extenuating circumstances. Petitions explaining the circumstances must be made in writing and submitted to the FAAC along with an Academic Plan before consideration.

*An Academic Plan is a contract created between a student and advisor outlining the steps the student plans to take to improve academic performance.

Students may be required to supply additional information before a decision is made on their readmission or reinstatement petitions. Students who are readmitted or reinstated without achieving satisfactory academic progress will be on probation status. Petition denials will include an explanation, steps for students to take, and the length of time before students may re-petition.


In the event an issue should arise against the Financial Aid Office, a written complaint addressed to the Financial Aid Appeals Committee (FAAC) must be submitted to the Enrollment Office within ten business days. An appropriate complaint for this procedure is dissatisfaction with interpretation or application of policy. The FAAC will review the cause of complaint and surrounding circumstances within five business days, and if warranted, the FAAC will forward the complaint to the President for further action as per KBOCC policy. The student will be notified by the FAAC, in writing, regarding the resolution of the issue.


Incomplete Grades

If an Incomplete grade (I) was granted, the course will not affect SAP until the end of the contract date, which will be no longer than the end of the following semester. No extensions will be granted.

Withdrawal from a Course(s) after Drop/Add Period

Students may withdraw from classes after the first week and before the final week of the semester by completing a Withdrawal form, having it signed by the instructor of the course and their advisors, and submitting it to the Enrollment Coordinator’s Office. Courses from which students have withdrawn will appear on their grade reports and transcripts with a “W” grade and are included in the total of attempted credits.

Tuition and fees are assessed on the number of credits for which students are enrolled on the census date, which is the end of the second week of the Fall and Spring semesters. Withdrawing from a course after this date will not result in a tuition reduction. Withdrawing from a course will affect satisfactory degree progress.

Withdrawal from the College
Students needing to withdraw from the College during the course of the semester should meet with the Dean of Student Services to complete the necessary withdrawal form. Failure to complete formal withdrawals may result in the students receiving “F” grades in all their courses.

Students needing to withdraw from the College will have to return the unused portion of federal student aid as required by government guidelines. Receiving all “F’s” will trigger an investigation of whether funds were unused or earned. Withdrawing from the College will affect satisfactory degree progress.

Administrative Withdrawal

Administrative withdrawal is the termination of a student’s enrollment in a course by the College. It is used to assist students who are seriously ill or otherwise unable to carry out a normal withdrawal, for nonpayment of tuition and fees, or for disciplinary reasons. Student actions that might lead to administrative withdrawal include plagiarism, copying of another student’s work, or persistent disruption of classes, harassment, or violence.

Administrative withdrawal is the termination of a student’s enrollment by the College. Students who are administratively withdrawn will have to return the unused portion of federal student aid according to government guidelines. Administrative withdrawals will also affect satisfactory degree progress.

Registration Cancellation

Students who do not attend classes during the first week of a course will have their registration canceled. Students who are unable to attend in the first week due to an emergency may maintain their enrollment by notifying the Dean of Student Services, providing documentation of the emergency, and verifying attendance at the first possible class session. When a course registration is canceled, no financial aid will be awarded for that course, and no attempted credits will be recorded.

 Adding or Dropping Courses

Financial aid will be based on students’ enrollment as of the census date. Adding or dropping a course within the drop/add period may create modifications to students’ estimated financial aid award. Dropped courses are not counted as attempted credits and do not appear on transcripts.

Course Audit

Students auditing a course will not be eligible for Federal Student Aid.

Repeated Courses

Financial aid will assist students to repeat a course one time providing that the previous grade was below a “C”. Credits for any course can be counted as progress toward a degree only once. Consequently, repeated courses only count as progress toward the degree when the first grade was failing.

Additional Degrees

Students seeking an additional associate degree will be eligible for federal funding provided that the student has not yet obtained a higher degree. Federal funding at the associate’s level will not exceed two associate degrees.

Remedial Courses

Courses numbered 000-100 cannot exceed 50% of coursework per semester to be eligible for federal student aid.

Transfer Credits

Credits transferred from other institutions will be calculated toward satisfactory degree progress. However, grades are not transferred and do not affect GPA.