Child Development Certificate
Upon completion, students will be prepared to apply for the Child Development Associate (CDA) credential awarded by the Council for Professional Recognition in Washington, D.C., which credentials the early childhood education profession.
Program Learning Outcomes:
** Students completing the CDA Certificate may apply the sixteen (16) credit hours from their content classes toward the A.S. Degree in Early Childhood Education.
CDA assessment is designed as a means of measuring the overall performance of caregivers working in several settings including center-based programs serving infants and toddlers or preschool children, and home visitor programs. KBOCC is one of many educational institutions participating in this national program.
Step 1: To be eligible to apply for the CDA credentialing, students must:
1. High School Education: Have a valid High School Diploma/GED or enrollment as a junior or senior in a high school career/technical program in early childhood education.
2. Professional Education: 120 clock hours, including 10 hours of each of the 8 CDA subject Areas
3. Work Experience: Within three years of submitting application have 480 hours of experience working with children ages 3-5
4. Final requirement: Six months of submitting application submit family questioners and professional Portfolio
Step 2: Application Process:
1. Candidate must identify a CDA Professional Development Specialist and obtain her or his identification number.
2. Secure your director’s permission for your verification visit
3. Submit the CDA application to the council and pay the assessment fee
Step 3: Demonstrate:
1. Once the council has approved the application and payment has been processed, the following can be scheduled and completed:
• Your verification visit
• Your CDA Exam
Child Development Certificate Requirements
CE119 CDA Preparation Seminar (2 Credits)
CE118 Creative Teaching Methods (3 Credits)
CE105 Health, Safety, and Nutrition (3 Credits)
CE220 Observation and Assessment in Early Childhood Education (3 Credits)
CE 275 ECE Practicum (2 Credits)
Electives (Choose from CE111, CE110, CE223, CE 115 Child Guidance) (3 Credits)
Total Credits Required 16
If you would like to receive a Early Childhood Education Degree, click here