Upon completion, students will be prepared to apply for the Child Development Associate (CDA) credential awarded by the Council for Professional Recognition in Washington, D.C., which credentials the early childhood education profession.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT:
Early Childhood Department Chair
Wabanung Campus – Rm 305
CE119 CDA Preparation Seminar – 2 credits
CE118 Creative Teaching Methods – 3 credits
CE220 Observation and Assessment in Early Childhood Education – 3 credits
CE275 ECE Practicum – 2 credits
Early Childhood Education Elective (Choose CE110, CE111, CE115, or CE223) – 3 credits
HL201 Human Nutrition – 3 credits
Total Credits Required 16
Students completing the CDA Certificate may apply the sixteen (16) credit hours from their content classes toward the A.S. Degree in Early Childhood Education.
APPLYING FOR YOUR CDA
CDA assessment is designed as a means of measuring the overall performance of caregivers working in several settings including center-based programs serving infants and toddlers or preschool children, and home visitor programs. KBOCC is one of many educational institutions participating in this national program.
STEP ONE: PREREQUISITES
1. High School Education: Have a valid High School Diploma/GED or enrollment as a junior or senior in a high school career/technical program in early childhood education.
2. Professional Education: 120 clock hours, including 10 hours of each of the 8 CDA Subject Areas
3. Work Experience: Within three years of submitting application have 480 hours of experience working with children ages 3-5
4. Final requirement: Six months of submitting application submit family questioners and professional Portfolio
STEP TWO: APPLICATION PROCESS
1. Candidate must identify a CDA Professional Development Specialist and obtain her or his identification number.
2. Secure your director’s permission for your verification visit
3. Submit the CDA application to the council and pay the assessment fee
STEP THREE: DEMONSTRATE
Once the council has approved the application and payment has been processed, the following can be scheduled and completed:
• Your verification visit
• Your CDA Exam