770 N. Main St. L'Anse MI, 49946
(906) 524-8400

Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver

The Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver can be used by any new, returning, high school, dually enrolled, and/or guest student for any education degree or certificate track that charges tuition for unlimited use.


To be eligible for the MITW, you must meet the following criteria:
1. Qualify for admission at one of Michigan’s public colleges or universities AND
2. Be ¼ or more Native American blood quantum as certified by your Tribal Enrollment Department AND
3. Are an enrolled citizen of a U.S. Federally Recognized Tribe as certified by your Tribal Enrollment Department AND
4. Be a legal resident of the state of Michigan for not less than 12 consecutive months.


Student fills out their portion of the Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver (MITW) Application depending if new or returning student.

Submit the following documentation:
1. A photocopy of your Michigan Driver’s License or State-issued Michigan ID card AND
2. A photocopy of your Tribal ID.


Send the MITW application (and attached documentation) to your Tribal Enrollment Department for certification.

KBIC Members should submit their applications to Liz Julio at ljulio@kbic-nsn.gov.