770 N. Main St. L'Anse MI, 49946
(906) 524-8400

Transfer Policies


At Keweenaw Bay Ojibwa Community College, we want to make the most of your past credits and experiences as you explore transfer options. KBOCC accepts credits from other colleges or universities that fulfill the requirements of the student’s declared program and that meet the following criteria:

1. Courses must be designated as college level by the transferring institution.

2. The student must have earned a “C” or better in the course.

3. Courses must be comparable to those taught at Keweenaw Bay Ojibwa Community College.

Credits transferred from institutions on the quarter system will be valued at 2/3 of the semester hour value (e.g. 4-quarter system credits will be accepted as 2.7 semester hours of credit). Grades and GPA do not transfer.

Students must complete a minimum of 20 semester hours of credit while enrolled at Keweenaw Bay Ojibwa Community College to earn an associate degree from the College. Certificate programs vary based on credits required. A minimum of 1/3 of the certificate program must be completed.

The Michigan Transfer Network allows students to view transfer course equivalencies between many Michigan colleges and universities. You can search for courses by sending institution (the institution where you completed the course) or by the receiving institution (the institution where you plan to transfer the course).


The Enrollment Office will send transcripts to other institutions upon written request by the student and payment of the $5.00 fee after the first transcript. The student’s account must be paid in full.

The accepting institution determines how to value transfer credits. Students may obtain assistance in transferring from their advisors, the Dean of Academic Affairs, the Dean of Student Services, the Student Success Coordinator, as well as from the institution to which they are transferring.

Transfer credit agreements exist between Keweenaw Bay Ojibwa Community College and the following institutions: Michigan Technological University, and Northern Michigan University. Keweenaw Bay Ojibwa Community College and Lake Superior State University have an articulation agree for early childhood education. The College participates in the Michigan Transfer Agreement, which facilitates transfer of General Education courses between Michigan colleges and universities. See General Education for more details.


Students who leave KBOCC without fulfilling all of their program requirements and subsequently take courses which fulfill the remaining requirements at another college or university are strongly encouraged to reverse-transfer the credits needed for their programs to KBOCC. Completed program credentials are far more valuable for employment and further education than the same credits listed on separate transcripts. Students may reverse-transfer up to 12 credits to complete program requirements of a catalog in effect when they were enrolled. Those who need to transfer more than 12 credits and have been away from the College for three or more regular semesters must meet current catalog requirements. Students must have official transcripts sent to the enrollment office, complete a graduation application, and pay the graduation application fee, if applicable. Re-enrollment is not required.


Advanced Placement Program

College course credit will be granted to students who participate in the Advanced Placement (AP) Program at their area high school and pass the Advanced Placement examinations with an appropriate score. Only those AP courses approved by Keweenaw Bay Community College faculty will transfer in as College credit.

Advanced Placement via Department Evaluation

Academic departments at Keweenaw Bay Ojibwa Community College may recommend that advanced placement credit be awarded to ¬currently enrolled students in degree-granting programs based on their life experience or educational achievements from nontraditional sources. The evaluation measurement for the recommendation is determined within the department and may ¬consist of a comprehensive examination, demonstration of a level of competency in a skill area or documented verifiable life experiences.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) is administered by the CollegeBoard. CLEP enables those who have reached the college level of education to assess the level of their academic achievement and to use the test results for college credit.

Students may not earn credit for CLEP subject examinations if the student has already earned credit in the course, was previously or currently enrolled in the course, or has credit in a higher-level course in that subject. CLEP credit will not count toward the minimum 20 credits required to be taken at KBOCC for degrees. CLEP credits receive no grades and are not calculated in the student’s GPA. Only the courses listed below will be considered for transfer and only if the final score is 50 or higher.

Military Training Credit

Veterans who feel that training received in the military is applicable to their program of study may request that such training be evaluated for credit. The veteran must produce proper documentation that will be evaluated by the Registrar based on the American Council on Education (ACE) credit recommendations. For more information, visit their website at www.acenet.edu. Veterans planning to transfer from Keweenaw Bay Ojibwa Community College to another institution should be aware that the institution may not accept the credit for military training given by KBOCC but will usually wish to re-evaluate the training documentation.