770 N. Main St. L'Anse MI, 49946
(906) 524-8400

Veteran Services


Michigan Veterans Resource Service Center (800-MICH-VET)https://www.michigan.gov/mvaa

About GI Bill benefits Learn how the GI Bill works and explore your options to pay for school or training.

Eligibility Find out if you’re eligible for GI Bill or other VA education benefits.

How to apply Learn how to prepare and apply for the GI Bill or other VA education and training benefits.

After you apply Find out when to expect a decision from us on your application and what to do next.

Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E) See if you qualify for help exploring employment options, any training you may need, and other vocational rehabilitation services.

Educational and Career Counseling (Chapter 36) Find out how to get free educational and career counseling if you are leaving active service soon, have been discharged within the past year, or are a Veteran or dependent who is eligible for VA education benefits.

Veteran Friendly Employers MVAA recognizes employers that commit to military veteran recruitment, training and retention practices by awarding those employers Gold, Silver and Bronze level status as Veteran-Friendly Employers.

American Council on Education

Applying For VA Benefits

Payment Rates

Principles of Excellence

VA Educational Benefits Home Page


First Time Applicants

Apply for benefits through the Department of Veteran Affairs:

  • New applicants under VA Chapters 30, 31, 32, 33, 1606, 1607 VA Application Form (VA 22-1990) or online using the EBENEFITS or VETS.GOV website
  • New applicants under VA Chapter 35 VA Application Form (VA 22-5490)

Paperwork needed by the VA Certifying Official:

  • Copy of Certificate of Eligibility issued from the VA once eligibility has been determined

Adding or Changing Degree Program/Change in Place of Training

Students who wish to change their degree program or place of training must notify the VA.

  • Applicants under VA Chapters 30, 31, 32, 33, 1606 and 1607 VA Request For Change of Program or Place of Training (VA 22-1995) or through the VETS.GOV website.
  • Applicants under VA Chapter 35 VA Request For Change of Program or Place of Training (VA 22-5495).

Certificate of Eligibility (COE) and DD214 forms can be sent to:

Keweenaw Bay Ojibwa Community College

Bursar/Registrar’s Office

770 N. Main St.

L’Anse, MI  49946

Email: bursar@kbocc.edu


Schedule Changes

Schedule changes made during the semester resulting in a change of enrollment status must be reported to the VA Certifying Official, as this may create an over/underpayment situation.

If you are a Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill) recipient, all changes in schedule must be reported to the VA Certifying Official to ensure that the accurate amount of tuition and fees are paid to the College on your behalf.

Overpayment of Benefits

If the VA determines there has been an overpayment of benefits, they will require that the overpayment is paid back to them directly by the student. Possible reasons for overpayment are:

  • Dropping a course during the semester resulting in a change of enrollment status.
  • Chapter 33 scheduling changes resulting in overpayment of tuition and fees by the VA.
  • Receiving a grade of W (withdrawal).
  • Receiving a grade of F if determined to be resulting from non-attendance in the course.

W Grades

The VA will not give credit for a course that results in a grade of W. Receiving a W can lead to an overpayment situation at the end of the semester.

Repeating a Course

Courses required for your degree that must be repeated due to a failing grade may be certified through the VA. Courses that are successfully completed (receiving a grade of D or higher) may not be certified for VA purposes if they are repeated.

Filing Timelines

The Veterans Administration takes approximately 8 to 12 weeks to process your application. After your application has been submitted and processed, a check will be mailed to or deposited into your designated bank account. Future checks will arrive at the beginning of each month for the previous month. Questions concerning payment should be directed to the Veterans Administration at 1-888-442-4551.

Direct Deposit

Direct deposit is available for Post 9/11 GI Bill, MGIB-Active Duty, Selected Reserve and Chapter 35 recipients. For more information, please contact the VA Direct Deposit Center at 1-877-838-2778 or speak with an Education Case Manager at 1-888-GIBILL1 (1-888-442-4551). You can also visit the WAVE application website or EBENEFITS to sign up for direct deposit.

Address Changes

Address changes must be reported promptly to the VA and to Keweenaw Bay Ojibwa Community College’s Certifying Official. Address changes can be reported to the VA using a form 20-572 or by visiting the WAVE website. A delay in reporting a change may result in payment being sent to an incorrect address or a delay in payment.


Chapter 30—Montgomery GI Bill (Active Duty)

Chapter 33—Post 9/11 GI Bill

Chapter 1606—Montgomery GI Bill (Selected Reserve)

Chapter 1607—Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)

Chapter 31—Vocational Rehabilitation

Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor:

Sarah L. Gagnon, MA, CRC
VR&E Counselor
Department of Veteran Affairs
Oscar G. Johnson VA Medical Center
325 East H Street, Iron Mountain, MI 49801
Phone: 906-779-3984
Email: Sarah.Gagnon@va.gov

Chapter 35– Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (DEA)

In compliance with Section 103 of the Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018, Keweenaw Bay Ojibwa Community College will not impose the following penalties to covered individuals* due to the delayed disbursement of funding from the Department of Veteran Affairs:

  • preventing nor delaying the student’s enrollment,
  • the assessment of late fees,
  • the denial of access to any resources available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fees bills to the institution, including but not limited to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities,
  • or require the student to secure alternative or additional funding

To qualify for this provision, such students are required to:

  • Produce a Certificate of Eligibility**;
  • Provide written request to be certified;
  • Provide additional information needed to properly certify the enrollment as required by thePrimary School Certifying Official.

This provision ends on the earlier of the following dates:

  • The date on which payment from the VA is made to the institution
  • 90 days after the date the institution certified tuition and fees following the receipt of the Certificate of Eligibility

*Covered individual is defined as any individual who is entitled to educational assistance under Chapter 31, Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment, or Chapter 33, Post 9/11 GI Bill®

**Certificate of Eligibility is defined as a Certificate of Eligibility, a Statement of Benefits, or a Tungsten Network Purchase Order.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.